Friday, March 27, 2009

Boy O Boy

So apparently, I'm stupid.

I've been stressing out about a place to have a baby shower. I'm the type of person who likes to plan things out very far in advance. I don't like waiting until the last minute. So today, at Eric's house, I started calling rec centers throughout the city to compare prices and availability. We found the perfect place. Its not far from here and easily accessible. It'd be $300 for 6 hours, which is better than most other places rates of $75/hour. We'd end up paying the same for less time. I was throughly excited and happy and ready to go check the place out and put down a deposit and start putting out invitations. Well not just yet because its still really early, but at least I could buy them and get myself ready. I'm already starting to collect addresses. We told his mom and she thought it was an excellent idea as well as price. I have yet to tell my best friend, but I'm sure she'll be happy about it especially since she had already decided she was going to help us pay for it. Great fucking news right?

I thought so. Until I got back home and decided to share this news with my parents. Who immediatly attacked me and called me stupid on oh so many different levels. It's too expensive they say. I tried to explain that Eric and I aren't paying for this by ourselves. They don't care because whomever is helping should be using that money to help out with the baby. I say..."Where do you propose we have it then?" "Here." Fuck no. I would never, ever have my baby shower in this house. I don't like it. I don't want to. I couldn't stand to have people know that this is where we live. And they ask how many people do I plan on having come. I guesstimate 50. They laugh and tell me there's no way that many people would want to come and they wouldn't show up and how ludacris of us to expect that our friends would show up to something so important to us! HOW FUCKING SILLY OF US. My father even goes so far as to say that if I'd rather spend $300 on a room for a baby shower than on neccesary tools or furniture for my child, then I obviously don't care about him. Him being my child of course. They sat and called me stupid and crazy for at least 10 minutes completely ruining any happiness I had previously felt.

We don't have enough space. There's no one rooom for people to congregate in this house. They wouldn't be allowed upstairs unless they had to use the bathroom and they'd all have to stand for lack of seating. We could only have people in the hallway and the living room. Two counches and maybe 10 random chairs. That don't match. Forgive me for being a stickler for things matching and looking nice. I'm having a boy and the fucking walls are pink for Pete's sake! With an Asian theme. I can't make that into a place where I'd want to have a baby shower. Plus, my father is NOT invited under any circumstances and he'd raise hell if he couldn't be in his own house. He's a jerk...he really is. Putting him around other people, especially a large gathering of them, is like mixing sulfuric acid and sodium chloride.He likes to pick on people. And Eric doesn't want him there and neither do I. I'd like to decorate my baby shower. I'd like to be in control of what happens and when.

I understand they they want me to save money and not waste it. But how could doing something that would make me happy be wasteful? Its something that both of us want and would appreciate. I also appreciate the fact that they would let me use the house to have it but they aren't seeing my points because they are soley concerned with the cost. I'm worried about the money. I truly am. But I'm not going to let anything take away from my first baby shower for our first son. My dad says that if we rent out the room, then I can't expect them to help us with the baby at all. Which hurts and is bringing tears to my eyes yet again. I don't know. I really don't. I just wanted them to be happy that we were figuring this out on our own. I don't want to ask them for shit all the time. Having a child is like our we can do this. And we can. They don't think so but we can. Fuck them anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Damn, they are just against everything.

    I say pay that 300 dollars, thats NOT alot seeing as to we paid 600 dollars for my brothers babyshower and the center wasnt even that big, you found you a great place. (especially if you checked it out already and what not)

    Babyshowers are an investment anyway. You spend all that money and get tons and tons of baby stuff. before my brothers baby mother (damn that was alot) had my niece they had so many clothes it was like WHYYY do they need all this shit, until i realized you have to change a kids clothes like a million times a damn day!

    I hope everything turns out good
    P.S. YEAH! imma need for you to start early on the baby shower so therefore its less stressful, keyword being less.

    You need to know whose bringing food, your gonna need help and make sureyou dont leave nobody out with them invitations they take that shit so serious, like if you call their talking shit because lets say "tanisha" got a invite but they just got told to come.

    i plan too many babyshowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. its nice to hear i'm not crazy for wanting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jazz, it's Liz. ^-^ You are NOT crazy at all for wanting this. $300 is cheap and it's a good price. Having the baby shower there will be worth it in the end since there will be plenty of room, decorated how YOU want it, and it will be more enjoyable. The surprised baby shower that was held for me was in someone's house and there was literally no room to walk around. This way, you'll have plenty of room for the gifts, food, and walking around and sitting while talking to everyone. Just remember, this is your baby, your pregnancy, your 9 to 10 months of planning and fun. You have to enjoy it and make it worth your wild since this is your first baby and you have to make this experience very memorable. ^-^

    ReplyDelete